Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Mother's Day Tea

(please excuse the lateness of this post. I wrote it in May, right after Mother's Day, completel with pictures, but never pubished it. that 14 month old is now 17 months old! at any rate, I wanted to share. Enjoy!)





My mom LOVES tea. Red rose tea to be exact. And so do her friends, and they all drink red rose tea. When we were little we used to collect the little figurines that come in the boxes.  There was a Noah's ark collection, a circus collection, a holiday collection, etc. Mrs. Kline even had them all lined on her chair rail in her dining room at one point.  Anyway, it is a very rare occurrence that I am at my moms house and I do not have at least one cup of tea.  I, like my mom, love tea. (although I do love coffee too! But Kenny's coffee, not just any) But back on subject, lately my mom has been going to tea rooms. Sometimes with her women's bible study, sometimes with friends, sometimes family. And on occasion Grandmom Jean joins her, and they both LOVE going.  Now with having a 14 month old and working, I haven't had the privilege of joining them (although it is not due to lack of invitation).
So this brings me to the title of my post, Mothers Day Tea. I would love to be able to afford to take them out to a tea room for Mothers day, but this year, that was not in the budget, nor was a gift really. So we decided on cards and having our own fancy tea at The Rhoades Tea Room aka my dining room. Thankfully they were both free on the day of the event, and were able to join us. :)

 I made scones for the first time. They were ok.  Better than I thought they would turn out, but not worth sharing the recipe.
Here's a picture of Kaitlyn enjoying her first scone.




 I made several kinds of tea sandwiches. I made some "safe sandwiches" (the ones I knew everyone would like) and then i tried a couple new ones.  Next time I think I'll skip the "safe" ones because the risky ones were delicious!
The "Safe Sandwiches" were Chicken Salad and Egg Salad. Then I made Grammy's favorite, Ham Salad Sandwiches. I tried a couple I had never had, nor heard of really. One was a Pineapple Pecan Sandwich which was cream cheese, crushed pineapple, cinnamon, and ground pecans. It was Kaitlyns favorite.  And then Mommy's favorite was the Radish Sandwich (and I found out that day that she doesn't even like radishes). The sandwich was chopped radishes, cream cheese, salt, poppy seeds mixed together and then spinach leaves on whole wheat bread. And it was oh so delicious! And last but not least, the must have at all tea parties, the cucumber sandwich. I opted for an open sandwich to add some variety to the plate.


 I didn't get a picture of the scones. They were hiding under a napkin on the corner of the table, but I was quite excited to use our china! (we've only used it a handful of times in the almost 2 years of having it)


We decided that this will definitely be a Mothers Day tradition.So much fun and so relaxed. :) A very special Mothers day "gift". I can't wait for next year. (Or another excuse to do it again!!)

As you can see, Kaitlyn wasted no time calling her friends to tell them about her first real tea! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment